Monday, February 13, 2017

Part one of my Daughter's Three Week Visit

I was not supposed to stay in Mesa, AZ, for the winter but I discovered a fiber studio that teaches Navajo weaving and Inkle loom weaving.  Now, it look like I am staying in the area until April.  My daughter, TeAntae, called and asked me if I would like her to come visit for my birthday then called back to say she was staying three weeks.  You can only imagine how happy I was. She arrived on the 30th, the day before my birthday and the fun began.  She really laughed when she saw my calendar of what I was doing.  I explained that I had so much to do that I was overlapping classes and events I was going to. When she arrived, after a light brunch we went to Basha's Art Gallery.  I consider this place one of the best kept secrets in Chandler.

Eddie Basha grew up captivated by the American West. In 1971 under the encouragement and guidance of his Aunt Zelma, Eddie began collecting art. What began as a hobby quickly grew into an inspirational passion, combining his keen interest in the history of the American West, his admiration of the American Indian and his appreciation for art.

His collection has grown into one of the largest private collections of contemporary Western American and American Indian art in the world.

That evening, we met friends and went to  Organ Stop Pizza.  You do not go there for the pizza. What you go for is the Organ. They claim to have the one of the largest Wurlitzer Organs with over 6000 pipes and numerous percussions that or located all over the restaurant.  The Five organist are all award winning.  You would need to check the restaurants schedule to see which one is playing.

The next morning was my birthday.  My friends, Jean and Gene, was making dinner that night so we went to Roosevelt Row in Phoenix which is an arts distant with murals, art galleries and restaurants.  My fellow fiber artist, Jan, joined us to run around .  I had saw this place on television  called, Barnone which is a craftsman community in Gilbert. I wanted to check it out.  I think it was worth the trip.  We found 12 craftsman shops which included a farm co-op, woodworkers, experimental winery, paper makers, and  restaurants of which we decided to have pizza and wedge salad at Fire and Brimstone, a pizza restaurant there.

 

My daughter said she came to see me but since she is a jewelry artist and the Tucson Gem, fossil and Mineral show was going on.....I am not sure.  We drove the two hours to Tucson and had a blast. It is not actually one show but 40 located in dozens of locations.  We only made it to two and arrived when the show opened and stayed til it closed. 

 
 
My loot so my daughter can make me things
 
Our next adventure was a trip to Tortilla Flats.  I still can not believe this place with one building is a destination.
 
Thought it was time we spent some time in Sedona because I really love it there.  I booked a hotel for two nights and made the two hour drive from Mesa.
 
We took a hummer tour from Sedona Outdoor Adventures so we could get closer to the mountains and have someone explain what we were looking at.
The tour guide did a trick photo were it looks like we are pushing the hummer from both ends.
 

We also went wine tasting in Cornville

Enjoyed Tlaquepague

https://www.tlaq.com/ which is an arts and crafts village in Sedona.  The highlight was Chai tea at the Chai Spot.

I was excited to take my daughter to Jerome.  I think she enjoyed it as well.
Are last major stop was a trip to Toozigoot to view the Indian ruins
I have explained about the ruins in a previous post so I won't do that again.  
 
Now back to Mesa so I can go to class.  

 

No comments: