Monday, July 18, 2016

Route 66 Summerfest

On Saturday, Jean and I drove to Albuquergue to the Route 66 Summerfest.  It was billed as a celebration of music, food and fun along the "Mother Road" in Historic Nob Hill.  The event ran from 2-10:30pm.   The Summerfest was free and they had several Park and Ride locations.  We were so early, we found an empty parking lot at the festival.  They even had a free bike valet if you rode your bike to the festival.  There were three stages,  we put our chairs at the main stage since we wanted to see Booker T Jones (formerly Booker T and the Mg's). Back when he started, he had two white members which made his group one of the first racially integrated rock groups, at a time when soul music and the Memphis music scene were considered black culture.  You may remember his hit recording Green Onions.

The mile long event was closed off to cars.  The street had a historic car show, food vendors, artisan market, kids zone that included a stage that kids could perform, a beer garden and more.  All the shops were open even a yarn shop.  I went in and found some wonderful ladies spinning and knitting.  I had a hard time pulling myself away.   Marsha, one of the ladies there, told me about a must do fiber event in May next year.  I have to arrange my schedule to attend.  She also gave me some yarn to needlefelt. How very sweet.

I had to tear may self away from the shop and I headed back to the music.  I missed the first band on the main stage, Ali and the Afterthoughts.  They played old school music.  I got back in time to hear Todd Tijerina.  I enjoyed his funky blues.

Jean and I grabbed something to eat but got back in time to hear the end of Chris Dracup's Funk of the West.  He band played funk with African percussion.  It rained a  little but not enough to slow the show.  People were dancing and generally having a good time.
 She was dancing with a hula hoop

At 6pm there was a group wedding but it turned out that the couples there were renewing their vows.  The ceremony was performed by Wedding officiant Pearl Gabaldon.  She opened the A Celebration of Love Chapel on Nob Hill.  The chapel has drive up service weddings for $200 if it is only the couple and witnesses.  It is $250 for up to 15 guest.  On this occasion, it was free.  There is a chapel inside if you want a more ordinary wedding.  Just like Vegas, you can have Elvis to Santa marry you and even take a buggy ride, ride in a Bat mobile or a restored antique  Mercedes Benz.  Jean and I were disappointed because no one came in a wedding gown.
If you want to say your vows in front of hundreds of people, this is the way to go.

After the ceremony, everyone was clapping and on their feet to the Cuban style salsa of Son Como Son.
He came into the audience to perform

The next artist was Nikki Hill.  She is a NC native who was influenced by Otis Redding.  Unfortunately, she may have been good but the music and her voice came out so loud that it was not enjoyable.

The headliner, Booker T. Jones Stax Soul Revue , brought the house down.  
Booker T on organ and his son playing guitar.

Jean and I had a wonderful time and I and will go back again.


Tomorrow the WINs group arrive.  Time to see old friends and new.  Back to traveling with the singles group.






No comments: