Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Kentucky and Heading to New Mexico


My friend Jean, met me in Maryland, May 11.  I wanted to go to Kentucky to see my family there before heading west.  Jean said she would go with me.  It had been raining continuously for days.  I was to stay on my cousin's land because he had a septic tank and water.  I was told to stay close to the fence because the ground was so wet.  I decided to go down a little to turn around and I got stuck.  Jean stayed close to the fence and had no problems.   I called a tow truck to pull me out.  Guess what!!  The tow truck driver got me out and then he got stuck.
As I said before, my cousin has a septic  tank and water on the land, however we could not get close enough to them because of the wet ground.  So, we made  our own sewer line.

While we were in Kentucky, Jean's cousin and her significant other let Jean know that they would be at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington which is only 45 minutes away.  We met them at the horse park campground and went for a tour.

Bev, Bev, me, Jean (yes, they are both Bev)

The park has one area that houses horses from around the world.  We visited the Draft Horse Barn and saw a demonstration on how the harness is put on.  We also watched while one was being groomed.

I had a wonderful two week visit with my family that I had not seen in 11 years but it was time to head out.  

One of our stops on the way to New Mexico was Somerville, TN.  They have music and free lemonade and cookies every Sunday.  While we were there, they had gospel music.

We also, spent a couple days in Memphis, TN, were we took a walk down Beale Street
Went to see the Lorraine Hotel were Martin Luther King was assassinated .

Checked out Sun Studios were Elvis, BB King and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded.

Jean was impressed with the Bass Pro store shaped like a pyramid.
This store is stated to be one of the largest retail stores in the world.  There is a 28 story freestanding glass elevator.  When you get on top , you stand on a glass-floored observation deck 320 feet high which was patterned after the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

Because I had not cooked in the Volcano for a week or so, I made pizza.  Jean got the recipe for the crust from her sister, Edee.  It was delicious.

When we got to Texas, we spent a few days in Texarkana, TX.
I took a class on making an IPad case at a quilt store.

Then Jean was in Arkansas and I was in Texas one day.

Next stop was Dallas, Texas, where I was to visit two former co-workers.

I love Eatzi's so we went there for our first lunch.

You can eat in our take out.  Most people take out.  There is a grill with daily specials, sushi, wine, fresh baked artisan bread, pizza, pastries, cheese, salads and sandwiches, pasta bar, to name a few stations.  This is one of my favorite places to eat in the Dallas area.  There are four locations.

My friends met me and Jean at my RV and Shannon suggested we go to Chef Point.  The restaurant is in a gas station.  It was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and is a five star restaurant.  The location was zoned as a gas station so they have to keep the working gas pumps.
I was shocked when I drove up.  It is a gas station.


One of the items on the menu

Dee, Jean, Dawn, Shannon and me

The food was delicious and reasonably priced.  I would go there again.
Dawn needed gas before we left

We also went to the Fort Worth Stockyards.  We found the original brick walkways to the wooden corals, shops galore.
I have not figured out what Jean did to deserve this.

We went to dinner at The Magic Time Machine.  This restaurant was recommended by a lady we met at the Elks in Texarkana when we stayed there.  Trust me, this is an unique restaurant.  It is billed that it not just a restaurant but an Adventure,  it first opened its doors in San Antonio in 1973  and in 1979, it opened the location we went to in Addison, TX.  No two dining locations are alike.  You can dine in a TeePee, a dunce cap, a carousel complete with horses, a school bus, a space capsule to name a few.  What got me was the salad car.  Yes, the salad bar is a shiny red 1952 MG-TD Roadster.
What really sets the restaurant apart is the servers .  They dress in costumes to represent popular pop culture icons from the past , present and future.  The menu consist of slow roasted prime rib, hand cut fresh salmon, chicken, pork and beef dishes.  The food was surprisingly good.  I would eat there again without the cute decor and costumed servers.

On one of our outings, we were hungry and stopped at Torchy's Tacos.  We just had to get this.


We took time off to find and amazing fabric store named Golden D'or Fabrics on Harry Hines Blvd.  It was huge and had a sales room that was enormous.  Everything in the sales room is normally half price but we happen to get there when all fabric under $7.99 was 99 cents a yard and fabric from $7.99 to $ 10.99 was $1.99 a yard.  Yes, I went crazy.


















No comments: