Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mount St. Helen Trek

I am still trying to understand why I agreed to ride 97 miles to Lava Canyon on the south side of Mount St. Helen.  I guess it is because I was told that the trek would be about the same distance as the one the day before and we would see waterfalls, cross a swinging bridge and climb down a 40 ft ladder.  


The trail explores an area scoured by mudflows during the 1980 eruption.  The trail began as a paved, barrier free trail but quickly changed to a very challenging trail, which included a 1.4 mile loop with a suspension bridge.  The trail got very narrow and steep.  At times we had to cross small streams stepping from rock to rock or log to log.  There was a section that we had to hold onto a chain that was in the rocks to cross a rocky area that water was flowing. Below were more rocks and the waterfall. I looked once but decided that was enough.







Why am I doing this again?


Climbing this ladder was like being back at work!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like a lot of fun and plenty to do. Glad to see you are finding the yarn shops along the way. I will be joining up with the group in about 2 weeks. Hope you are still with them then. Take care and enjoy.