Sunday, August 25, 2013

American Folk Festival Day 3

I got up early to say goodbye to Rachel.  She was heading to another campground to meet up with a friend.  Before she left, she invited me to caravan with her to Newfoundland since she goes every summer and stays all summer roaming.   I told her that I would think about it and get back to her.

I arrived at the festival a little before noon and headed to the dance pavilion to catch Frank Ferrel & Friends.  The program said New England Contradance and I had no idea what it was.   As it turned out, it is a slower form of square dance.  It turns out that square dancing is a take off of contradance.

Next was Rosie Ledet & the Zydeco Playboys.  Rosie sings and writes some of her own material in Creole French.  At this performance she sang in English.  Her songs were lusty, bluesy and full of personality.  I really wanted an album but they were all out.
 


I stayed in the pavilion to see Juvenato a Colombian Vallenato band.  They really got the tent to jump with their music.  This band is a Chicago based group.  The leader was born in Columbia and wanted to expose others to the music and culture.  The group consists of eight members from 17 to 60.  


The food stands was quite a distance from the dance pavilion and I was starved so I did not stay for the African Samba band that I planned to see.   I plan to come back someday so who knows what I will be introduced to.

No comments: