Friday, July 04, 2008

TOTO, We are Not in Kansas anymore

Yes, I have finally left Kansas and truly had fun coming home. Stopped at several yarn stores and spent too much money. It took me 4 hours just to get 100 miles away from the office.

I stopped at Knit-Wit, 1815 S. Ridgeview Rd., Olathe, KS 66062 (no web-site). The shop is small but is packed with great yarn. If you stop by, make sure you check out the bargain baskets. I had found a great lace shawl pattern that uses sock to sport weight yarn. Just as I was about to pay for it and leave, the owner asked me if I had looked through the bargain baskets. I found Plymouth Yarn's Linen Isle that is 86 yds, 5 sts. an inch on a size 6 needle. It is 50% cotton, 30% rayon and 20% linen. I was able to get it for $2 a ball. I got 30 balls. I plan on making the hot cocoa jacket from More Big Girl Knits and some of those great farmer's market bags (a free pattern) by Elizabeth Taylor the owner of Stringtown Yarn and Fibers in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. I think they will be great Christmas gifts.



If you have ever been to the Maryland Sheep and Wool you know the Yarn Barn of Kansas. I had no idea that the shop was only an hour from my office. Just think, I was in Kansas a month and never went. I think that is where I spent all my time during those 4 hours I was trying to get out of Kansas. I only brought some spinning magazines, a reed for my Ashford table loom and a double point needle holder mainly because I was overwhelmed. The store is chocked full of weaving, spinning and knitting yarns and supplies. Also, if you love crafting videos, they own Victorian Videos. I truly love those videos, I have purchased so many and had my own classes in my hotel room over the years. You can get videos on everything from basketry to spinning.

I also made some stops in Missouri. I found a small shop in Saint Charles, Mo, Artistic Needles (no web-site). This is needlepoint and knitting yarn store. It is jambed pack from top to bottom. You need time when you go because the owner loves to show you around her store.

I had not planned on buying but really fell in love with a sport superwash by Filtes s.a.s. and Italian yarn company. The yarn has 136 yds, Tried to find it on Ravelry but it would not come up. The color is not a solid blue but looks like it from a distance. I brought enough to make Bombshell from Big Girl Knits which is a very cute tee.












I stopped at another store along the way and brought more sock yarn but otherwise, it was a very uneventful trip.

What's on my needles....I am still working on Mr. Greenjean's. I just have the button band to finish. I forgot to take my knitting with me when I went to Kansas so I could not finish any of my projects.

On Ravelry, Lets knit2gether ravelers had a a June KAL for the clapotis. Since everyone in the knitting community seems to have knitted this shawl but me, I jumped on the band wagon. I needed a project while I was in Kansas, didn't I? What would you do if you did not take your spinning wheel or loom? I stopped at Hill Creek Yarn Shoppe, Columbia, Missouri and picked up Ashfords' Tekapo Rainbows in Forest colorway. The label says the yarn is pure New Zealand Wool, 218 yrs and is a double knit 8 ply.

I still have not posted my pictures from Arkansas. My camera broke and I have not figured out how to retrieve the photos.

I plan on mostly spinning and weaving the two weeks I will be off. Hope I have something to show you.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


1 comment:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Looks like you had a wONDERful yarn crawl for yourself!