Monday, August 14, 2006

My Carpentry Project is Complete








On Saturday, my daughter and I took a trip to Adamstown, PA, to go antiquing. There was one problem, nothing is open on Saturdays. A lady that we met came to our rescue so that it was not a wasted day by telling us of a place that had artist studios in Reading, PA, called GoggleWorks.

I will visit GoggleWorks again. We found artist studios for anything you can imagine from bronze sculpture to pottery. The highlight of my visit was meeting Janna Carrozza of Handwoven Designs in Studio 321. Janna is a teacher by day and works in her studio as often as she can. When I met her she was warping her Macomber loom with tencel. She uses natural dyes and fibers in her weaving. A friend was visiting when my daughter and I were there. I did not get the young lady's name and I am quite sorry because she was fascinating to talk to.

Some friends have asked that I show them some of my projects. I am always working on something and usually work on 2 or 3 things at a time. I do love making things for my home. I keep telling my daughter that I am going to stop making and buy real furniture, however everytime I go the furniture store, it only gives me more ideas. I end up heading to the hardware store.

The first picture you are looking at is the table I made for my bedroom. My children always tell me that my bed is my office. That is true, and normally I can not find my book, glasses and more than once I almost fell asleep with my laptop on my lap. I finished this table last night. It is on wheels so that I can push it back and forth. Yes, everything is black and white (today). I change the colors of the floor with floorcloths and make my own pillowcases. With black and white as a base, I can change colors of everything else in the room every day, which I am known to do on occasion. By making my pillowcases and floorcloths, I just need a solid bedspread and I have a new room.

The second picture is a picture of one of the walls in my living room. I've collected posters from lots of places and wanted to display them. However, I did not want my wall to look like a teenager's bedroom. I decided to put the posters on foamcore, use my little Rotozip saw (gift from my son-in-law) to cut out parts of the poster and put this on thicker foamcore to make parts 3-D. Unfortunately, the photos do not show how 3-D the posters really are. Under the poster is my loveseat that started out as a loveseat with a back but with the help of my power saw, is now a chaise.

The third picture was suppose to be the legs of my cocktail table but for some reason I got the living room wall twice. Could not figure out how to delete it. The fourth picture is the top of my cocktail table. Once I had a very formal wood and glass table, I gave it away because I was tired of cleaning the glass. I had a table from Ikea that I had purchased probably 20 years ago when I had a den. I painted the table to reflect ME. There is a quote about "family" on each side and my children's name on each end.

This gives you a glimpse of where I live and what I love. I am working on some weaving and knitting that I will share with you in a future post as well as my weaving studio and sewing room. If you would like to see more of my home or want to just chat, let me know.

Until later....

No comments: